Lankan court orders release of 27 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri lankan court has ordered the release of 27 fishermen who were taken into custody by the Lankan navy recently along with their four boats, fisheries officials said on Wednesday.
According to fisheries department officials and president of the `Innocent Fishermen`s Association` U. Arulanandam, the court had ordered their release today.
They said the Jaffna court had also ordered for release of the four boats seized and taken along with the fishermen to Talaimannar.
The fishermen, who belonged to Karaikal and Nagapattinam, were arrested on December 23 when they were fishing in the Lankan martime area, police said. The fishermen would arrive in India shortly, they said.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya had said on December 24 that the Indians were arrested for "poaching inside Sri Lanka international maritime border limits off the eastern coast".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31