Lankan court orders release of 27 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri lankan court has ordered the release of 27 fishermen who were taken into custody by the Lankan navy recently along with their four boats, fisheries officials said on Wednesday.
According to fisheries department officials and president of the `Innocent Fishermen`s Association` U. Arulanandam, the court had ordered their release today.
They said the Jaffna court had also ordered for release of the four boats seized and taken along with the fishermen to Talaimannar.
The fishermen, who belonged to Karaikal and Nagapattinam, were arrested on December 23 when they were fishing in the Lankan martime area, police said. The fishermen would arrive in India shortly, they said.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya had said on December 24 that the Indians were arrested for "poaching inside Sri Lanka international maritime border limits off the eastern coast".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...