Lankan court orders release of 27 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri lankan court has ordered the release of 27 fishermen who were taken into custody by the Lankan navy recently along with their four boats, fisheries officials said on Wednesday.
According to fisheries department officials and president of the `Innocent Fishermen`s Association` U. Arulanandam, the court had ordered their release today.
They said the Jaffna court had also ordered for release of the four boats seized and taken along with the fishermen to Talaimannar.
The fishermen, who belonged to Karaikal and Nagapattinam, were arrested on December 23 when they were fishing in the Lankan martime area, police said. The fishermen would arrive in India shortly, they said.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya had said on December 24 that the Indians were arrested for "poaching inside Sri Lanka international maritime border limits off the eastern coast".
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why