Lankan court orders release of 35 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri Lankan court Monday ordered the release of 35 fishermen who were arrested by the Lankan Navy last month, officials said.
The fishermen from Pamban South area were arrested on August 25 for allegedly fishing in the Lankan sea zone.
They were produced before Puthalam Court Magistrate Pasis, who ordered their release, Fisheries Department officials said.
However, the Magistrate did not pass orders on the release of five fishing boats seized from them, officials said.
Yesterday, 20 fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Lankan Navy when they were fishing in the Palk Strait on a day when 34 fishermen, released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four, arrived here.
Stepping up pressure on the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday to facilitate a dialogue between fishermen associations in the state and Sri Lanka, to be held in Chennai in December following frequent attacks and arrests of fishermen by naval personnel of the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story