Lankan court orders release of 35 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri Lankan court Monday ordered the release of 35 fishermen who were arrested by the Lankan Navy last month, officials said.
The fishermen from Pamban South area were arrested on August 25 for allegedly fishing in the Lankan sea zone.
They were produced before Puthalam Court Magistrate Pasis, who ordered their release, Fisheries Department officials said.
However, the Magistrate did not pass orders on the release of five fishing boats seized from them, officials said.
Yesterday, 20 fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Lankan Navy when they were fishing in the Palk Strait on a day when 34 fishermen, released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four, arrived here.
Stepping up pressure on the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday to facilitate a dialogue between fishermen associations in the state and Sri Lanka, to be held in Chennai in December following frequent attacks and arrests of fishermen by naval personnel of the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials