Lankan court orders release of 35 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: A Sri Lankan court Monday ordered the release of 35 fishermen who were arrested by the Lankan Navy last month, officials said.
The fishermen from Pamban South area were arrested on August 25 for allegedly fishing in the Lankan sea zone.
They were produced before Puthalam Court Magistrate Pasis, who ordered their release, Fisheries Department officials said.
However, the Magistrate did not pass orders on the release of five fishing boats seized from them, officials said.
Yesterday, 20 fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Lankan Navy when they were fishing in the Palk Strait on a day when 34 fishermen, released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four, arrived here.
Stepping up pressure on the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday to facilitate a dialogue between fishermen associations in the state and Sri Lanka, to be held in Chennai in December following frequent attacks and arrests of fishermen by naval personnel of the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you