Lankan navy damages boat, take away fish catch
Rameswaram: The Sri Lankan Navy allegedly damaged a fishing boat and took away fish catch from 10 vessels of fishermen when they were fishing near Katchateevu islet today.
A group of fishermen set out in 80 boats from nearby Pamban last night. When they were fishing near Katchatheevu, the naval personnel hit their ship with a boat and damaged it, M Gopinath, Rameswaram Fisheries Assistant Director said.
Eight persons who were in the boat were rescued by other fishermen, he said, adding, the navy personnel also took away fish catch from 10 boats.
The Lankan navy personnel also sent back another group of fishermen at Katchateevu after threatening to arrest them if they continued fishing in the area, Gopinath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai