Lankan Tamil refugees arrive by illegal boat service, one held
Rameswaram: A Sri Lankan Tamil refugee, who arrived here on Sunday by an illegal boat service, has been taken into custody for questioning and a massive hunt launched for other refugees, police said.
DSP Vijayakumar said the refugees had arrived at Arichalmunai near Dhanushkodi from Sri Lanka and police with the help of the Coast Guard managed to nab a person, Santhan, who confessed that he had come along with some others by paying Rs one lakh as ferry charge.
Others are absconding, police said.
An official said they were interrogating Santhan, but were not sure how many had arrived with him.
Santhan told police that others, who had come with him, had left long back and he was not aware of their whereabouts nor did he inquire with them about their destination, sources said.
Police said they had launched a massive hunt for other refugees as they suspected that they could be Sri Lankan militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missing Batla House encounter suspects Sajid, Rashid appear in ISIS video on Indian 'Jihadists'
- 'BJP will get clear majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections; SP, BSP will give fight in some seats'
- BCCI contemplating over holding mini-IPL in September: Report
- Will Salman Khan-Katrina Kaif be back together?
- A time of goodness, justice and peace is now going to begin in Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan