Law and order has worsened in Tamil Nadu: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi Tuesday said the law and order situation in Tamil Nadu has worsened during the last one year of the AIADMK rule.
Leading the party`s protest here against the severe power shortage in the state, Karunanidhi said: "Since May 2011 when the new government took over, 928 murders and 768 thefts have taken place. There have been 476 cases of chain snatching."
He was referring to the statement of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the conference of district collectors and police officers here Monday that law and order situation in the state is good.
According to Karunanidhi, the incidents of chain snatching have increased in the state due to power cuts.
He said the party is holding state-wide protest against severe power cuts.
Karunanidhi said a ruler would lose his kingdom if he does not have proper counsel offering constructive criticism.
At its executive committee meeting here Dec 13, the DMK accused the AIADMK government of disinterest in tackling the acute power shortage in the state and decided to hold a peaceful state wide protest Dec 18.
Citing reports that power generation was getting stalled due to the absence of generators and coal and the equipment failures, the DMK said these show the disinterest of the government in sorting out the power woes of the state and hence the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations