Lawyer sentenced to 5 yrs imprisonment
Namakkal: A lawyer has been sentenced
to five years imprisonment by a local court and slapped a fine
of Rs 10 lakh for bigamy while his second wife and mother have
been sentenced to similar terms of imprisonment for abetting
Principal District and Sessions Court Judge N Velu (34)
also slapped a fine of Rs 10 lakh on him.
Seven others, including the lawyer`s mother and his second
wife were sentenced to five years each and fined Rs 5,000 for
abetting bigamy.One of the accused passed away some years ago.
The judge ordered the lawyer to pay the amount to his first
wife, also an advocate and her son.
The prosecution case was that muruganandham had married
another woman due to parental pressure after getting married
to his college sweetheart Damayanthi 23, hailing from a
different community some time back.
The woman pressured him to take him to her native place
after they started demanding Rs one lakh as dowry from her,
in which regard a case was registered, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach