Lawyer sentenced to 5 yrs imprisonment
Namakkal: A lawyer has been sentenced
to five years imprisonment by a local court and slapped a fine
of Rs 10 lakh for bigamy while his second wife and mother have
been sentenced to similar terms of imprisonment for abetting
Principal District and Sessions Court Judge N Velu (34)
also slapped a fine of Rs 10 lakh on him.
Seven others, including the lawyer`s mother and his second
wife were sentenced to five years each and fined Rs 5,000 for
abetting bigamy.One of the accused passed away some years ago.
The judge ordered the lawyer to pay the amount to his first
wife, also an advocate and her son.
The prosecution case was that muruganandham had married
another woman due to parental pressure after getting married
to his college sweetheart Damayanthi 23, hailing from a
different community some time back.
The woman pressured him to take him to her native place
after they started demanding Rs one lakh as dowry from her,
in which regard a case was registered, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand