Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi
Chennai: An Advocate’s group staged a black flag protest against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi at the Madras High Court premises on Sunday.
Protesting lawyers held Karunanidhi responsible for failing to execute court orders to dismiss police officers responsible for the attack on lawyers.
On February 17, 2009, Police had assaulted lawyers at the Madras High Court premises when some people threw eggs on Janata Party president Subramaniyan Swamy.
The black flag protest against Karunanidhi was organized by a lawyer’s organisation named ‘Makkal Kalai Ilakkiyam.’
On Sunday, Karunanidhi arrived at the Madras High Court premises to inaugurate Dr. B R Ambedkar statue.
Lawyers protest, raged Dravida Munetra Kazhakam (DMK) activists who were accompanying Karunanidhi.
Lawyers alleged that DMK activists attacked protesting lawyers and also media persons who were present on the scene.
On October 29, 2009, The Madras High Court recommended disciplinary action against four senior police officials in connection with the advocates-police clash.
The court had also ordered the state government to pay a fine of Rs. 5.8 million as compensation for damaged property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez