Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi
Chennai: An Advocate’s group staged a black flag protest against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi at the Madras High Court premises on Sunday.
Protesting lawyers held Karunanidhi responsible for failing to execute court orders to dismiss police officers responsible for the attack on lawyers.
On February 17, 2009, Police had assaulted lawyers at the Madras High Court premises when some people threw eggs on Janata Party president Subramaniyan Swamy.
The black flag protest against Karunanidhi was organized by a lawyer’s organisation named ‘Makkal Kalai Ilakkiyam.’
On Sunday, Karunanidhi arrived at the Madras High Court premises to inaugurate Dr. B R Ambedkar statue.
Lawyers protest, raged Dravida Munetra Kazhakam (DMK) activists who were accompanying Karunanidhi.
Lawyers alleged that DMK activists attacked protesting lawyers and also media persons who were present on the scene.
On October 29, 2009, The Madras High Court recommended disciplinary action against four senior police officials in connection with the advocates-police clash.
The court had also ordered the state government to pay a fine of Rs. 5.8 million as compensation for damaged property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth