Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi
Chennai: An Advocate’s group staged a black flag protest against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi at the Madras High Court premises on Sunday.
Protesting lawyers held Karunanidhi responsible for failing to execute court orders to dismiss police officers responsible for the attack on lawyers.
On February 17, 2009, Police had assaulted lawyers at the Madras High Court premises when some people threw eggs on Janata Party president Subramaniyan Swamy.
The black flag protest against Karunanidhi was organized by a lawyer’s organisation named ‘Makkal Kalai Ilakkiyam.’
On Sunday, Karunanidhi arrived at the Madras High Court premises to inaugurate Dr. B R Ambedkar statue.
Lawyers protest, raged Dravida Munetra Kazhakam (DMK) activists who were accompanying Karunanidhi.
Lawyers alleged that DMK activists attacked protesting lawyers and also media persons who were present on the scene.
On October 29, 2009, The Madras High Court recommended disciplinary action against four senior police officials in connection with the advocates-police clash.
The court had also ordered the state government to pay a fine of Rs. 5.8 million as compensation for damaged property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS