Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi
Chennai: An Advocate’s group staged a black flag protest against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi at the Madras High Court premises on Sunday.
Protesting lawyers held Karunanidhi responsible for failing to execute court orders to dismiss police officers responsible for the attack on lawyers.
On February 17, 2009, Police had assaulted lawyers at the Madras High Court premises when some people threw eggs on Janata Party president Subramaniyan Swamy.
The black flag protest against Karunanidhi was organized by a lawyer’s organisation named ‘Makkal Kalai Ilakkiyam.’
On Sunday, Karunanidhi arrived at the Madras High Court premises to inaugurate Dr. B R Ambedkar statue.
Lawyers protest, raged Dravida Munetra Kazhakam (DMK) activists who were accompanying Karunanidhi.
Lawyers alleged that DMK activists attacked protesting lawyers and also media persons who were present on the scene.
On October 29, 2009, The Madras High Court recommended disciplinary action against four senior police officials in connection with the advocates-police clash.
The court had also ordered the state government to pay a fine of Rs. 5.8 million as compensation for damaged property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state