Left parties stage protest against petrol price hike
Chennai: Left parties on Thursday staged protests here against yesterday`s hike in petrol price.
CPI state secretary D Pandian led a protest at Saidapet here while the CPI (M)-affiliated youth organisation DYFI staged a protest outside Indian Oil Bhavan here.
Around 25 DYFI activists were detained as they did not have permission to stage protest, police said.
Meanwhile, CPI announced staging state-wide agitation on May 26 condemning the hike in petrol prices and demanding its immediate rollback, Pandian said.
Oil companies had increased the price of petrol by Rs 7.50 per litre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video