Left parties stage protest against petrol price hike
Chennai: Left parties on Thursday staged protests here against yesterday`s hike in petrol price.
CPI state secretary D Pandian led a protest at Saidapet here while the CPI (M)-affiliated youth organisation DYFI staged a protest outside Indian Oil Bhavan here.
Around 25 DYFI activists were detained as they did not have permission to stage protest, police said.
Meanwhile, CPI announced staging state-wide agitation on May 26 condemning the hike in petrol prices and demanding its immediate rollback, Pandian said.
Oil companies had increased the price of petrol by Rs 7.50 per litre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice