Letika Saran Tamil Nadu`s first woman police chief
Chennai: After being the first woman to serve as Chennai`s police commissioner, Letika Saran will become Tamil Nadu`s first woman Director General of Police (DGP) and the second woman in the country to head a state police force.
The 57-year-old Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, currently director general (training) will take over her new post Jan 13.
The state government appointed Saran as the DGP in the place of KP Jain who is going on leave Jan 14 ahead of his retirement in April.
Saran was chosen over four other officers - R.Nataraj, DGP (Fire and Rescue Services), SK Upadhyay (under suspension), V Balachandran, DGP (Vigilance) in the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board and N Balachandran, who heads the Uniformed Services Recruitment Board. A fact in her favour was that she retires in 2012, much later than the others.
A 1976 batch IPS officer, Saran has several firsts to her credit in her career. A native of Idukki district in Kerala, she was appointed the first woman Police Commissioner of Chennai in 2006. Last September, she became the first woman to be elevated to the rank of director general in the state police.
Saran will be the second woman to head a state police in India - the first being Kanchan Chaudhry Bhattacharya in Uttarakhand.
The Tamil Nadu Police is one of the oldest police forces in the country, dating back to 1859.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in