Letting out steam part of Kudankulam tests: KNPP
Chennai: India`s atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) said on Monday that only steam was being let out of the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) as part of tests.
"As a part of commissioning tests of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, the steam relief valves on the steam lines are being tested. These tests are conducted only during the day and only steam, or water vapour, is released as part of the tests," said RS Sundar, KNPP site director.
Disputing NPCIL`s stand, M. Pushparayan of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) told a news agency: "For the past three days we heard loud noises from the plant. Thick black and white smoke emanated from the plant and there was a strong stench."
He said that in 2011, KNPP had carried out similar tests, but this time the noise and the stench was much more.
The PMANE will lay siege to the NPCIL employee`s residential colony near Kudankulam April 3, protesting the indifferent attitude of the government towards the people and their demands, Pushparayan added.
NPCIL, India`s atomic power plant operator, is setting up the project in Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, around 650 km from here, with two Russian-made VVER 1,000-MW each reactors.
KNPP is an outcome of the inter-governmental agreement between India and erstwhile Soviet Union in 1988. However, construction only began in 2001.
Pushparayan said there were contradictions about the plant and its commissioning date.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says the plant will be operational in April while NPCIL`s website mentions the date as May 2013," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed