Letting out steam part of Kudankulam tests: KNPP
Chennai: India`s atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) said on Monday that only steam was being let out of the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) as part of tests.
"As a part of commissioning tests of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, the steam relief valves on the steam lines are being tested. These tests are conducted only during the day and only steam, or water vapour, is released as part of the tests," said RS Sundar, KNPP site director.
Disputing NPCIL`s stand, M. Pushparayan of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) told a news agency: "For the past three days we heard loud noises from the plant. Thick black and white smoke emanated from the plant and there was a strong stench."
He said that in 2011, KNPP had carried out similar tests, but this time the noise and the stench was much more.
The PMANE will lay siege to the NPCIL employee`s residential colony near Kudankulam April 3, protesting the indifferent attitude of the government towards the people and their demands, Pushparayan added.
NPCIL, India`s atomic power plant operator, is setting up the project in Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, around 650 km from here, with two Russian-made VVER 1,000-MW each reactors.
KNPP is an outcome of the inter-governmental agreement between India and erstwhile Soviet Union in 1988. However, construction only began in 2001.
Pushparayan said there were contradictions about the plant and its commissioning date.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says the plant will be operational in April while NPCIL`s website mentions the date as May 2013," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read