Life convict in Rajiv Gandhi case gets parole
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench on Wednesday
granted two weeks parole to Ravi alias Ravichandran, a life
convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Justice V Ramasubramanian directed the Tamil Nadu Home
Secretary to release Ravi on parole for two weeks on a
petition by his mother P Rajeswari of Virudhunagar district
seeking the relief for settling some family property matters.
Rajeswari, who sought a month`s parole for Ravi, said her
representation to the state Home Secretary and others was
rejected on the ground that his presence was considered
`dangerous or prejudicial` to public peace and tranquillity in
his home district Virudhunagar, Rajeswari said.
Rajeswari submitted that the Home Secretary`s statement was
false as the Prison Probationary Officer had stated that
Ravi`s behaviour was good and if he was released on parole,
there would not be any problem in Virudhunagar.
She said the officials could grant leave to a prisoner to
make arrangements for livelihood of his family and for
settlement of life after release.
Besides Ravi, Robert Piaz, Nalini and Jayakumar are
undergoing life terms in the case relating to the
assassination of Rajiv Gandhi during an election rally in
Sriperumpudur in May, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands