Life convict in Rajiv Gandhi case gets parole
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench on Wednesday
granted two weeks parole to Ravi alias Ravichandran, a life
convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Justice V Ramasubramanian directed the Tamil Nadu Home
Secretary to release Ravi on parole for two weeks on a
petition by his mother P Rajeswari of Virudhunagar district
seeking the relief for settling some family property matters.
Rajeswari, who sought a month`s parole for Ravi, said her
representation to the state Home Secretary and others was
rejected on the ground that his presence was considered
`dangerous or prejudicial` to public peace and tranquillity in
his home district Virudhunagar, Rajeswari said.
Rajeswari submitted that the Home Secretary`s statement was
false as the Prison Probationary Officer had stated that
Ravi`s behaviour was good and if he was released on parole,
there would not be any problem in Virudhunagar.
She said the officials could grant leave to a prisoner to
make arrangements for livelihood of his family and for
settlement of life after release.
Besides Ravi, Robert Piaz, Nalini and Jayakumar are
undergoing life terms in the case relating to the
assassination of Rajiv Gandhi during an election rally in
Sriperumpudur in May, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Differences alone cannot define Sino-India ties: Chinese media
- Tata Hexa, Safari Storme to get 1.9-litre diesel in 2017
- MFs asset base from B15 cities up 19% to Rs 2 lakh crore
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Renault Kwid AMT ready in 800cc and 1.0-litre guise