Life convict in Rajiv Gandhi case gets parole
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench on Wednesday
granted two weeks parole to Ravi alias Ravichandran, a life
convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Justice V Ramasubramanian directed the Tamil Nadu Home
Secretary to release Ravi on parole for two weeks on a
petition by his mother P Rajeswari of Virudhunagar district
seeking the relief for settling some family property matters.
Rajeswari, who sought a month`s parole for Ravi, said her
representation to the state Home Secretary and others was
rejected on the ground that his presence was considered
`dangerous or prejudicial` to public peace and tranquillity in
his home district Virudhunagar, Rajeswari said.
Rajeswari submitted that the Home Secretary`s statement was
false as the Prison Probationary Officer had stated that
Ravi`s behaviour was good and if he was released on parole,
there would not be any problem in Virudhunagar.
She said the officials could grant leave to a prisoner to
make arrangements for livelihood of his family and for
settlement of life after release.
Besides Ravi, Robert Piaz, Nalini and Jayakumar are
undergoing life terms in the case relating to the
assassination of Rajiv Gandhi during an election rally in
Sriperumpudur in May, 1991.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'