Low pressure area likely to bring more rains in TN
Chennai: The presence of a trough of low pressure area in the Bay of Bengal is likely to bring in more rains in coastal districts of Tamil Nadu in the next 24 hours beginning 8.30 am on Tuesday.
"Trough of low pressure is extending upto South West Bay and there may be rain or thundershowers in city and coastal districts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry in the next 24 hours", a Met department official said.
Tiruvannamalai district registered heavy rainfall of 11cm.
According to Met office, as of 0830 am many places in Chennai including Guindy, Meenambakkam and Egmore, received heavy rain of five cm each.
For Chennai city, the official said the sky generally was expected to be cloudy. However, rain or thundershowers may occur in some areas, at times it may be heavy, he said.
Since Monday, the city has been witnessing heavy to very heavy rain inundating several low lying areas. Authorities have declared a holiday today for schools in Chennai and neighbouring districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe