Madras HC allows political meeting to be held inside college premises
Chennai: Disposing a writ petition by a
student of a city college seeking a direction against conduct
of a political meeting in the college premises in which Chief
Minister M Karunanidhi would take part, the Madras High Court on Friday permitted the event to go ahead with certain conditions.
Balaji Rao, a B Com student at Sir P T Thyagaraya Arts and
Science College filed a Public Interest Litigation to forbear
authorities, including the Educational Department, City Police
Commissioner and the institution from permitting a DMK
function inside the college premises.
The function is to be held tomorrow in connection with
former AIADMK MLA Sekar Babu joining DMK, the petitioner said.
He alleged that Babu had encroached the playground in the
college premises to organise the function and sought a
direction to forebear the respondents from permitting the
function as "it would affect the peaceful atmosphere of the
Disposing the petition, the First Bench, comprising Chief
Justice MY Eqbal and Justice TS Sivaganam said the
organisers should be solely responsible for the safety and the
security of the college and its properties.
Observing that the intention of the petitioner was
"laudable", the bench said, "yet on facts of the present case,
we are not persuaded to interfere and grant relief sought for
by the petitioner".
The bench also said the organiser should strictly comply
with conditions in the February 12 letter given by the
institution in which the college has listed the conditions to
conduct the event peacefully.
Further, police and fire service authorities should accord
protection as requested by the institution, the court ruled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video