Madras HC allows political meeting to be held inside college premises
Chennai: Disposing a writ petition by a
student of a city college seeking a direction against conduct
of a political meeting in the college premises in which Chief
Minister M Karunanidhi would take part, the Madras High Court on Friday permitted the event to go ahead with certain conditions.
Balaji Rao, a B Com student at Sir P T Thyagaraya Arts and
Science College filed a Public Interest Litigation to forbear
authorities, including the Educational Department, City Police
Commissioner and the institution from permitting a DMK
function inside the college premises.
The function is to be held tomorrow in connection with
former AIADMK MLA Sekar Babu joining DMK, the petitioner said.
He alleged that Babu had encroached the playground in the
college premises to organise the function and sought a
direction to forebear the respondents from permitting the
function as "it would affect the peaceful atmosphere of the
Disposing the petition, the First Bench, comprising Chief
Justice MY Eqbal and Justice TS Sivaganam said the
organisers should be solely responsible for the safety and the
security of the college and its properties.
Observing that the intention of the petitioner was
"laudable", the bench said, "yet on facts of the present case,
we are not persuaded to interfere and grant relief sought for
by the petitioner".
The bench also said the organiser should strictly comply
with conditions in the February 12 letter given by the
institution in which the college has listed the conditions to
conduct the event peacefully.
Further, police and fire service authorities should accord
protection as requested by the institution, the court ruled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report