Madras HC asks Home Affairs secy to be in court if order not complied by Nov 15
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday directed the Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs (Freedom Fighters Division), to appear before it in person by November 15 if its order on granting freedom fighter pension to a person was not complied by that date.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar gave this direction when a contempt petition filed by a 95-year-old freedom fighter M Rajagopal in Thiruvarur District came up for hearing today Rajagopal contended that the High Court had on Oct 1, 2012 had directed the union home secretary to sanction him pension, based on the recommendations of the state Government on Oct 20, 1973.
Though more than a year had passed since the judgement, the order had not been complied with.
To a question by the judge on whether any stay has been granted on the appeal filed, union government`s counsel said no stay had been granted though an appeal was filed so the contempt petition was filed by the petitioner.
Though the counsel had informed the department on October 11 2013 that a contempt petition had been filed, there was no action from the government.
The judge then gave the direction, saying the court would be forced to issue a warrant if they failed to comply with the order for personal appearance of the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price