Madras HC asks Home Affairs secy to be in court if order not complied by Nov 15
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday directed the Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs (Freedom Fighters Division), to appear before it in person by November 15 if its order on granting freedom fighter pension to a person was not complied by that date.
Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar gave this direction when a contempt petition filed by a 95-year-old freedom fighter M Rajagopal in Thiruvarur District came up for hearing today Rajagopal contended that the High Court had on Oct 1, 2012 had directed the union home secretary to sanction him pension, based on the recommendations of the state Government on Oct 20, 1973.
Though more than a year had passed since the judgement, the order had not been complied with.
To a question by the judge on whether any stay has been granted on the appeal filed, union government`s counsel said no stay had been granted though an appeal was filed so the contempt petition was filed by the petitioner.
Though the counsel had informed the department on October 11 2013 that a contempt petition had been filed, there was no action from the government.
The judge then gave the direction, saying the court would be forced to issue a warrant if they failed to comply with the order for personal appearance of the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack