Madras HC clash: CBI chargesheets 32 laywers, 4 policemen
Chennai: The CBI has filed a chargesheet against four police personnel and 32 advocates in a city court and recommended departmental action against
22 policemen in the lawyers-police clash in the Madras High Court complex in February last year.
The chargesheet was filed yesterday in the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in a sealed cover.
Official sources said the CBI has made no reference to the role of four senior police personnel, including then City Police Commissioner K Radhakrishnan, as their appeal against indictment by the High Court is pending in the Supreme Court.
They said the agency has chargesheeted 32 advocates in one of the bloodiest clashes that left a judge, scores of lawyers and police personnel besides journalists injured.
CBI has also recommended departmental action against 22 police personnel, the sources added.
On October 29, a specially constituted bench, hearing a batch of petitions by advocates and police, had held Radhakrishnan, then ADCP (Law and Order) A K Viswanathan, then Joint Commissioner (North) Ramasubramani and then DCP Flower Bazaar police station Prem Anand Sinha, responsible for the violent incidents and ordered their suspension.
The Tamil Nadu Government had challenged the order in the Supreme Court. CBI had taken up investigation into the clash after a directive from the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?