Madras HC dismisses govt plea against PT leader`s acquittal in murder
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here on Thursday dismissed the government appeal challenging the acquittal of Puthiyatamizhagam leader Krishnasamy, MLA, and another person in a murder case by a lower court in 2005.
A Division Bench of Justice K Suguna and Justice R Mala, said the Tuticorin Fast Track II Court was correct in coming to the conclusion that prosecution had failed to prove that the PT leader had conspired to kill Muthukrishnan, belonging to the Thevar community, to avenge the death of a Dalit in Tuticorin district on September 15,1997.
According to the prosecution, Krishnasamy, who attended the funeral, held a closed door meeting and had reportedly told his supporters that the murder must be avenged with the murder of a Thevar community man.
Muthukrishnan was murdered four days later.
The Judges said that two of the main witnesses had turned hostile even during the trial. Police did not prove that Krishnasamy stayed in the room in the local area, where he hatched the alleged conspiracy.
Two persons, one Suresh and a juvenile allegedly murdered Muthukrishnan.
Suresh was first accused and Krishnasamy the second while the case relating to the juvenile was dealt separately by splitting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof