Madras HC dismisses govt plea against PT leader`s acquittal in murder
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here on Thursday dismissed the government appeal challenging the acquittal of Puthiyatamizhagam leader Krishnasamy, MLA, and another person in a murder case by a lower court in 2005.
A Division Bench of Justice K Suguna and Justice R Mala, said the Tuticorin Fast Track II Court was correct in coming to the conclusion that prosecution had failed to prove that the PT leader had conspired to kill Muthukrishnan, belonging to the Thevar community, to avenge the death of a Dalit in Tuticorin district on September 15,1997.
According to the prosecution, Krishnasamy, who attended the funeral, held a closed door meeting and had reportedly told his supporters that the murder must be avenged with the murder of a Thevar community man.
Muthukrishnan was murdered four days later.
The Judges said that two of the main witnesses had turned hostile even during the trial. Police did not prove that Krishnasamy stayed in the room in the local area, where he hatched the alleged conspiracy.
Two persons, one Suresh and a juvenile allegedly murdered Muthukrishnan.
Suresh was first accused and Krishnasamy the second while the case relating to the juvenile was dealt separately by splitting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH