Madras HC dismisses petition to scrap Padma Awards list
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday
dismissed a petition seeking to quash the list of those
selected for this year`s Padma Awards saying the litigant was
expected to approach the authorities concerned first about any
grievance before approaching the court.
"In our view, a litigant is expected to approach the
authorities first and point out whatever his grievances are so
that if at all there is any substance there-in the authorities
concerned can look into the same and if there is any merit
therein can take an appropriate decision," a bench comprising
Chief Justice H L Gokhale and Justice K K Sasidharan held.
Petitioner A Sethu had sought to set aside the list of
those selected for this year`s Padma Awards claiming that the
selection was "arbitrary, unconstitutional and against a
Supreme Court ruling".
The petition had also sought a direction to the Union
Home Ministry to repeat the selection process.
Pointing out that "in the instant case the petitioner
has not approached the first respondent (home ministry), the
Bench observed that there is sufficient time for the
petitioner in as much as the actual conferment of the awards
for this year is likely to take place only in March or April".
From the material placed on record by the petitioner
himself that it was clear that the President did have the
powers to take an appropriate decision to cancel or annul the
award in respect of any individual, the judges said for these
reasons they were not inclined to entertain the writ petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception