Madras HC dismisses petition to scrap Padma Awards list
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday
dismissed a petition seeking to quash the list of those
selected for this year`s Padma Awards saying the litigant was
expected to approach the authorities concerned first about any
grievance before approaching the court.
"In our view, a litigant is expected to approach the
authorities first and point out whatever his grievances are so
that if at all there is any substance there-in the authorities
concerned can look into the same and if there is any merit
therein can take an appropriate decision," a bench comprising
Chief Justice H L Gokhale and Justice K K Sasidharan held.
Petitioner A Sethu had sought to set aside the list of
those selected for this year`s Padma Awards claiming that the
selection was "arbitrary, unconstitutional and against a
Supreme Court ruling".
The petition had also sought a direction to the Union
Home Ministry to repeat the selection process.
Pointing out that "in the instant case the petitioner
has not approached the first respondent (home ministry), the
Bench observed that there is sufficient time for the
petitioner in as much as the actual conferment of the awards
for this year is likely to take place only in March or April".
From the material placed on record by the petitioner
himself that it was clear that the President did have the
powers to take an appropriate decision to cancel or annul the
award in respect of any individual, the judges said for these
reasons they were not inclined to entertain the writ petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'