Madras HC dismisses petition to scrap Padma Awards list
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday
dismissed a petition seeking to quash the list of those
selected for this year`s Padma Awards saying the litigant was
expected to approach the authorities concerned first about any
grievance before approaching the court.
"In our view, a litigant is expected to approach the
authorities first and point out whatever his grievances are so
that if at all there is any substance there-in the authorities
concerned can look into the same and if there is any merit
therein can take an appropriate decision," a bench comprising
Chief Justice H L Gokhale and Justice K K Sasidharan held.
Petitioner A Sethu had sought to set aside the list of
those selected for this year`s Padma Awards claiming that the
selection was "arbitrary, unconstitutional and against a
Supreme Court ruling".
The petition had also sought a direction to the Union
Home Ministry to repeat the selection process.
Pointing out that "in the instant case the petitioner
has not approached the first respondent (home ministry), the
Bench observed that there is sufficient time for the
petitioner in as much as the actual conferment of the awards
for this year is likely to take place only in March or April".
From the material placed on record by the petitioner
himself that it was clear that the President did have the
powers to take an appropriate decision to cancel or annul the
award in respect of any individual, the judges said for these
reasons they were not inclined to entertain the writ petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- DNA: Today in History | May 26, 2016
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon