Madras HC dismisses PIL on royal family wealth
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday dismissed
a Public Interest Litigation petition calling it a `private
interest litigation,` as the petitioner sought 10 per cent of
the properties belonging to the royal family of the erstwhile
Raja of Pudukottai.
In their strongly worded judgement, the Chief Justice
M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam called the petitioner a
"cheat, mischief monger, property grabber and blackmailer" and
said they could "hardly see any public interest in it" and it
was "a clear abuse of the jurisdiction of the court."
Petitioner Thanushkodi claimed to be a `property
genealogist and a honorary social worker` had sought for a
direction of upon the royal family of Pudukottai to produce
all the records of the jewels allotted them when the Union of
India took over the princely state in 1948 and also to direct
the government of India to notify the jewels under the
Antiquity Jewels and Treasuries Act and Rules of Indian States
(Abolition of Privileges) Act, 1973.
He also wanted these jewels had historical value and they
should be notified under the provisions of the Act and also
acquired by the state and further claimed to be a special
power of attorney of majority of the successor of the
Pudukottai royal family and he is eligible for 10 per cent of
the properties of the royal family.
Rama Devi, daughter of the ninth and last son of Raja
Rajagopal Thondaiman in her counter denied to have sold that
ornaments as claimed by the petitioner and said she did
not have the right to do so.
The State Bank of India in its affidavit said the boxes
containing the said property were in its "safe custody."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'