Madras HC disposes of over 2.36 lakh cases in 2011
Chennai: Over 2.36 lakh cases had been
disposed of by the Madras High Court last year alone, one of
the highest for the High Courts across the country.
"In the year 2011, there has been a phenomenal increase
as the Madras High Court alone has disposed of a total number
of 2,36,837 cases," the Registrar General of the Madras High
Court said in a release.
Of the 1,29,331 fresh civil cases filed in 2011, a total
of 1,20,779 cases had been disposed at the Principal Seat.
Similarly, of the 51,626 fresh criminal cases filed, 44,015
cases had been disposed of, it said.
The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court disposed of
46,233 of the 56,602 fresh civil cases filed and 25,810 of the
29,308 criminal cases filed.
The achievement was despite the shortage of judges, it
said, adding that while it was sanctioned to have 60 judges,
the court only had a working strength of 49 judges.
The average disposal of cases per judge was 4,833.
A large number of cases had been settled through
Permanent Lok Adalats and the High Court Mediation and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened