Madras HC disposes of over 2.36 lakh cases in 2011
Chennai: Over 2.36 lakh cases had been
disposed of by the Madras High Court last year alone, one of
the highest for the High Courts across the country.
"In the year 2011, there has been a phenomenal increase
as the Madras High Court alone has disposed of a total number
of 2,36,837 cases," the Registrar General of the Madras High
Court said in a release.
Of the 1,29,331 fresh civil cases filed in 2011, a total
of 1,20,779 cases had been disposed at the Principal Seat.
Similarly, of the 51,626 fresh criminal cases filed, 44,015
cases had been disposed of, it said.
The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court disposed of
46,233 of the 56,602 fresh civil cases filed and 25,810 of the
29,308 criminal cases filed.
The achievement was despite the shortage of judges, it
said, adding that while it was sanctioned to have 60 judges,
the court only had a working strength of 49 judges.
The average disposal of cases per judge was 4,833.
A large number of cases had been settled through
Permanent Lok Adalats and the High Court Mediation and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside