Madras HC gives anticipatory bail to 27 Dalits in case of clash
Chennai: Madras High Court on saturday granted anticipatory bail to 27 Dalits, including two advocates, in a matter pertaining to a clash over their entry into a temple at Thiruvallur district.
The order was passed by Justice KBK Vasuki at a special sitting at her residence here.
The judge, who heard three separate bail applications filed by 27 Dalits, directed the two lawyers to appear before the Metropolitan Magistrate, Egmore, for 15 days and other 25 accused, named in different FIRs, to stay at Villupuram and sign before the Judicial Magistrate there daily at 11 AM until further orders.
Counsel for one of the lawyers said his client enrolled as an advocate on December 21 and returned to his native village Nambakkam at Thiruvallur district that day and was welcomed by friends and relatives. He was taken in a procession to a temple for offering prayers, but was prevented entry, abused and attacked by the villagers, who took exception to their entry to the temple.
In spite of complaints to local police and Superintendent of Police, no action was taken against those responsible, though some who accompanied the lawyer were hospitalised, the counsel submitted.
He further submitted that instead of taking action against them, police had registered FIRs on the complaints of the rival group.
As his client and also the others apprehended arrest following registration of FIRs, counsel for Dalits made a special mention that the anticipatory bail petitions be heard immediately.
Hence though today was a holiday, the bail petitions were heard by Justice Vasuki at her residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened