Madras HC gives relief to Jaya in gifts case
Chennai: The Madras High Court, Friday, quashed proceedings against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in the Rs 2 crore birthday gifts case.
As per the CBI, she had received drafts worth Rs 2 crore from 57 people on her birthday in 1992. However, as per the CBI, many of the persons listed as having given gifts denied it and while some names were found to be fictitious.
Jayalalithaa had wanted the case be quashed in view of the 14-year delay in filing of chargesheet by the investigating agency.
Two senior AIADMK leaders Sengottaiyan and Alagu Thirunavukarassu were also granted relief by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre