Madras HC gives relief to Jaya in gifts case
Chennai: The Madras High Court, Friday, quashed proceedings against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in the Rs 2 crore birthday gifts case.
As per the CBI, she had received drafts worth Rs 2 crore from 57 people on her birthday in 1992. However, as per the CBI, many of the persons listed as having given gifts denied it and while some names were found to be fictitious.
Jayalalithaa had wanted the case be quashed in view of the 14-year delay in filing of chargesheet by the investigating agency.
Two senior AIADMK leaders Sengottaiyan and Alagu Thirunavukarassu were also granted relief by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Five killed as house collapses in Andhra Pradesh
- Here’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkantha
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa