Madras HC helps Muslim girl to live with her Hindu husband
Madurai: Coming to the aid of a Muslim girl who alleged threats from her family members after she married a Hindu, Madras High Court bench here directed them not to interfere in her life as she was a major.
Disposing of a petition by 21-year old K Fathima seeking police protection, Justice K Venkataraman said the parents should not interfere and precipitate as the girl was a major.
The girl, an engineering student in Tirunelveli, was in love with her collegemate S Kannan and both got married at the famous Lord Muruga temple in Palani in Dindigul District on June 29 despite strong opposition from her family.
She claimed to have received many threatening phone calls from her relatives and also from a fundamentalist organisation for having married a Hindu youth.
The judge had summoned the girl, her husband as well as her parents to know the facts.
Fathima told the Judge she feared that she might become a victim of honour killing and sought protection.
When questioned by the Judge, her parents insisted on taking her back with them but budged as the girl was adamant on living with her husband, who filed an affidavit promising to register the marriage.
The Judge recorded the undertaking as well as the presence of a police official who stood witness to the entire episode and let the girl go with her husband.
He also said the police could intervene only if any complaint was lodged by either of the parties making out a cognizable offence and not otherwise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi