Madras HC helps Muslim girl to live with her Hindu husband
Madurai: Coming to the aid of a Muslim girl who alleged threats from her family members after she married a Hindu, Madras High Court bench here directed them not to interfere in her life as she was a major.
Disposing of a petition by 21-year old K Fathima seeking police protection, Justice K Venkataraman said the parents should not interfere and precipitate as the girl was a major.
The girl, an engineering student in Tirunelveli, was in love with her collegemate S Kannan and both got married at the famous Lord Muruga temple in Palani in Dindigul District on June 29 despite strong opposition from her family.
She claimed to have received many threatening phone calls from her relatives and also from a fundamentalist organisation for having married a Hindu youth.
The judge had summoned the girl, her husband as well as her parents to know the facts.
Fathima told the Judge she feared that she might become a victim of honour killing and sought protection.
When questioned by the Judge, her parents insisted on taking her back with them but budged as the girl was adamant on living with her husband, who filed an affidavit promising to register the marriage.
The Judge recorded the undertaking as well as the presence of a police official who stood witness to the entire episode and let the girl go with her husband.
He also said the police could intervene only if any complaint was lodged by either of the parties making out a cognizable offence and not otherwise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj
- After Gilgit, PoK and Balochistan, 'azaadi' slogans resonate in Pakistan's Sindh – Watch