Madras HC orders medical treatment for undertrial
Chennai: Madras High Court on Wednesday directed authorities to provide medical treatment to an undertrial, who has been kept in a separate prison bloc after he allegedly misbehaved with other inmates.
Closing a habeas corpus petition by the undertrial`s mother, Justice S Rajeswaran and Justice P N Prakash directed that Mustafa, who allegedly fell ill while under judicial custody, be given treatment in the prison hospital.
Mustafa`s mother had submitted in her petition that her son was being kept in solitary confinement and she was not allowed to meet him. She came to know that he had taken ill.
Alleging that her son was kept under solitary confinement without any sanction of law from September 16, she sought a direction to officials to produce him in the court and arrange for medical examination.
Denying her charge of solitary confinement, the Additional Public Prosecutor submitted that the detenue had misbehaved with the other inmates following which he had to be shifted from one block to another.
Further when he was produced in a magistrate court on September 16 last, he broke the window panes in the court and tried to snatch the rifle from a woman constable.
Because of his conduct both inside and outside the prison, Mustafa had been kept in a separate block and not in solitary confinement.
The Judges also said if medical treatment had already been given, the same could be continued since it was reported he was suffering from some illness and said no further orders were necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video