Madras HC orders notice to DMDK president Vijayakanth
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday ordered notice to DMDK president and actor Vijayakanth on a
petition seeking a direction to the EC to conduct inquiry into
his alleged remarks against the Indian Army and cancel the
status of political party to his organisation.
A bench comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice
T S Sivagnanam, before whom the matter came up today, ordered
notice to Vijayakanth which would be returnable within four
According to petitioner T S Rajan, editor and
publisher of a magazine, Vijayakanth was asked to comment on
what his strategy in the April 13 Tamil Nadu assembly polls
To this he reportedly replied that "even the Indian
Army did not have a strategy" when they fought the Kargil war
and other wars with Pakistan.
Rajan said that by equating the wars fought by the
Indian Army with his lack of political strategy, Vijayakanth
had "hurt the patriotic sentiments of the electorate of Tamil
Rajan contended that through his adverse remarks and
false allegations against the Indian Army, the DMDK chief had
committed offences punishable under various sections of the
"These are very serious allegations and could not
ignored as a pointless rhetoric from a politician," the
petition argued, adding, "The leader of a recognized political
party has demonstrated that he failed to bear true faith and
allegiance to the Constitution and has violated the provisions
of the Representation of the People Act."
Rajan also claimed DMDK had lost the qualification to
function as a registered political party.
He submitted that he has already sent a representation
to the EC.
He also sought that pending a final decision on his
complaint, directions be issued restraining the returning
officers of 41 constituencies in which DMDK candidates are
contesting from declaring the results if any of their
candidates, is found to have secured the majority votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in