Madras HC orders notice to DMDK president Vijayakanth
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday ordered notice to DMDK president and actor Vijayakanth on a
petition seeking a direction to the EC to conduct inquiry into
his alleged remarks against the Indian Army and cancel the
status of political party to his organisation.
A bench comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice
T S Sivagnanam, before whom the matter came up today, ordered
notice to Vijayakanth which would be returnable within four
According to petitioner T S Rajan, editor and
publisher of a magazine, Vijayakanth was asked to comment on
what his strategy in the April 13 Tamil Nadu assembly polls
To this he reportedly replied that "even the Indian
Army did not have a strategy" when they fought the Kargil war
and other wars with Pakistan.
Rajan said that by equating the wars fought by the
Indian Army with his lack of political strategy, Vijayakanth
had "hurt the patriotic sentiments of the electorate of Tamil
Rajan contended that through his adverse remarks and
false allegations against the Indian Army, the DMDK chief had
committed offences punishable under various sections of the
"These are very serious allegations and could not
ignored as a pointless rhetoric from a politician," the
petition argued, adding, "The leader of a recognized political
party has demonstrated that he failed to bear true faith and
allegiance to the Constitution and has violated the provisions
of the Representation of the People Act."
Rajan also claimed DMDK had lost the qualification to
function as a registered political party.
He submitted that he has already sent a representation
to the EC.
He also sought that pending a final decision on his
complaint, directions be issued restraining the returning
officers of 41 constituencies in which DMDK candidates are
contesting from declaring the results if any of their
candidates, is found to have secured the majority votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog