Madras HC orders Rs 3 lakh compensation for electrocution of boy
Chennai: Refusing to accept the contention of TNEB Ltd that the electrocution of an 8-year old boy following heavy rains last year was due to an act of God beyond its control, Madras High Court has directed it to pay a compensation of Rs three lakh to the mother of the victim.
Justice D Hariparanthaman directed TNEB to pay Rs three lakh to petitioner Gowri as compensation, with interest at 12 per cent from the date of death, and Rs 20,000 towards cost.
Both the payments are to be made within four weeks from the date of receipt of a copy of the order.
The petitioner submitted that her son Sangeeth Raj was on his way to school in Arakkonam Taluk in Vellore district on May 4, 2012, when a high tension live wire snapped and fell on him, resulting in his death on the spot.
Investigation by the police and the post-mortem report confirmed Raj`s death was due to electrocution.
Since TNEB did not respond to her June 28, 2012 plea for compensation, she moved the court seeking a direction for payment of Rs five lakh.
In its counter, TNEB contended that on May 2, 2012, there was heavy rain following a "cyclone", resulting in the damage to power line and there was no question of negligence on its part.
It argued the accident was due to act of God beyond their control.
After hearing arguments, the Judge held that there was no dispute that the boy died due to falling of live wire and hence the respondents were liable to pay compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened