Madras HC orders Rs 3 lakh compensation for electrocution of boy
Chennai: Refusing to accept the contention of TNEB Ltd that the electrocution of an 8-year old boy following heavy rains last year was due to an act of God beyond its control, Madras High Court has directed it to pay a compensation of Rs three lakh to the mother of the victim.
Justice D Hariparanthaman directed TNEB to pay Rs three lakh to petitioner Gowri as compensation, with interest at 12 per cent from the date of death, and Rs 20,000 towards cost.
Both the payments are to be made within four weeks from the date of receipt of a copy of the order.
The petitioner submitted that her son Sangeeth Raj was on his way to school in Arakkonam Taluk in Vellore district on May 4, 2012, when a high tension live wire snapped and fell on him, resulting in his death on the spot.
Investigation by the police and the post-mortem report confirmed Raj`s death was due to electrocution.
Since TNEB did not respond to her June 28, 2012 plea for compensation, she moved the court seeking a direction for payment of Rs five lakh.
In its counter, TNEB contended that on May 2, 2012, there was heavy rain following a "cyclone", resulting in the damage to power line and there was no question of negligence on its part.
It argued the accident was due to act of God beyond their control.
After hearing arguments, the Judge held that there was no dispute that the boy died due to falling of live wire and hence the respondents were liable to pay compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants