Madras HC pulls up authorities over `unrecognised` private schools
Chennai: Madras High Court has pulled up the
Nagapattinam district authorities for not taking immediate
action against `unrecognised` private schools functioning in
`Had action been taken at the initial stage itself`,
Justice K Venkataraman said `students would not be suffering
at this stage. Inaction on the part of authorities concerned
have now landed the innocent students in great trouble.`
Dismissing petitions filed by the Correspondent of
Assembly of Jesus Christ (AJC)school and the school`s Parents`
Association, the Judge suggesed that the Tamil Nadu
government, in the interests of the student community, give
suitable directions to the district educational authorities to
remain vigilant in future and take action against those
schools which start functioning without any affiliation or
`Only then a situation of this nature may not arise in
future,` he said.
The AJC Public School (CBSE) and Parents Association had
sought to quash notifications issued by district authorities
on December four last directing closure of the religious
minority run school from LKG to ninth standard with a strength
of 487 students and another notification on December five
ordering closure of 10 more unrecognised schools.
The second order followed a crackdown on unrecognised
institutions in the wake of a tragic accident when a school
van plunged into a pond at Kathiripulam, resulting in the
death of 10 students and a teacher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!