Madras HC quashes detention under NSA against PMK MLA
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Wednesday quashed the detention orders under the National Security Act (NSA) passed by the state government against PMK MLA J Guru.
A Division Bench, comprising Justice S Rajeswaran and Justice A Arumugaswamy, which quashed the detention orders passed by the Kancheepuram District Collector in May and modified order by the state government on October 7, said the orders were passed by the Collector only after eruption of violence following the arrest of PMK leader Ramadoss and his supporters on April 30.
On a habeas corpus petition filed on behalf of Guru, the Bench said violence occurred only after Ramadoss`s arrest in which the state said several private and Government Transport vehicles were damaged.
Therefore the speech made by the detenu cannot be said to be a reason for the violence that erupted after six days of his arrest, it said.
"The detention orders dated May 10 and the modified order passed by the State Government on October 7 against the detenu are set aside," the Bench said and directed the Home Secretary and the Kancheepuram Collector to set Guru at liberty unless he is required in any other cases.
Guru was arrested in connection with the speech he delivered at a meeting organised by the PMK`s youth wing at Mamallapuram on April 25.
He was first detained under the NSA on May 10, but the Centre, on his plea, quashed it on July 2. He was again detained under the same Act the next day but it was quashed on August 22.
The state invoked the NSA for the third time the next day and subsequently moved the court challenging the revocation of the orders by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark