Madras HC upholds Sinha`s appointment as CBI direc
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Thursday upheld the appointment of senior IPS officer Ranjit Sinha as Director of Central Bureau of Investigation.
The petitioner has not placed enough materials against the IPS officer to convince the court against his appointment, Justice K Venkatraman said dismissing a writ petition.
Petitioner Jebamani Mohanraj, a retired police officer, contended that an officer, who was facing charges, should not have been named the next head of the premier investigating agency.
Mohanraj challenged Sinha`s appointment on two principle grounds -- the IPS officer was removed from the investigation of the fodder scam, and procedure prescribed for appointment of the CBI director had not been followed in his case.
Additional Solicitor General P Wilson had submitted that the appointment was made in accordance with law before the Cabinet Committee on Appointments cleared Sinha`s name.
Sinha was recently appointed as the CBI Director for a two-year term.
A controversy had erupted over Sinha`s appointment with BJP demanding that the Prime Minister keeps it on hold, citing a recommendation by a Rajya Sabha panel on Lokpal that the selection be made by a collegium.
The government, however, had said the selection of the 1974-batch IPS officer had been done in a "fair manner" following the "due process" and that the Prime Minister had got the authority to decide on one name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read