Madurai gearing up to face water crisis
Madurai: With water crisis looming in this already water-starved district with the onset of summer, the administration is making arrangements to sink 1000 deep borewells.
Efforts were being taken to sink new borewells since almost all the water sources, including deep borewells in several localities, had dried up, officials said.
In 13 unions, including Usilampatti, Sedapatti, Kallikudi, T.Kallupatti, the ground water level had gone down drastically due to exploitation for various purposes.
"It is against this background that we have initiated steps, on a warfooting, to overcome the water crisis," District Collector Anshul Mishra said.
He had also formed a seperate cell for attending to the water supply crisis.
Instructions had been given to further deepen the bore wells, whereever possible. New borewells would be sunk in 244 places in the city and 761 elsewhere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand