Madurai gearing up to face water crisis
Madurai: With water crisis looming in this already water-starved district with the onset of summer, the administration is making arrangements to sink 1000 deep borewells.
Efforts were being taken to sink new borewells since almost all the water sources, including deep borewells in several localities, had dried up, officials said.
In 13 unions, including Usilampatti, Sedapatti, Kallikudi, T.Kallupatti, the ground water level had gone down drastically due to exploitation for various purposes.
"It is against this background that we have initiated steps, on a warfooting, to overcome the water crisis," District Collector Anshul Mishra said.
He had also formed a seperate cell for attending to the water supply crisis.
Instructions had been given to further deepen the bore wells, whereever possible. New borewells would be sunk in 244 places in the city and 761 elsewhere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...