Madurai gearing up to face water crisis
Madurai: With water crisis looming in this already water-starved district with the onset of summer, the administration is making arrangements to sink 1000 deep borewells.
Efforts were being taken to sink new borewells since almost all the water sources, including deep borewells in several localities, had dried up, officials said.
In 13 unions, including Usilampatti, Sedapatti, Kallikudi, T.Kallupatti, the ground water level had gone down drastically due to exploitation for various purposes.
"It is against this background that we have initiated steps, on a warfooting, to overcome the water crisis," District Collector Anshul Mishra said.
He had also formed a seperate cell for attending to the water supply crisis.
Instructions had been given to further deepen the bore wells, whereever possible. New borewells would be sunk in 244 places in the city and 761 elsewhere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media