Madurai gearing up to face water crisis
Madurai: With water crisis looming in this already water-starved district with the onset of summer, the administration is making arrangements to sink 1000 deep borewells.
Efforts were being taken to sink new borewells since almost all the water sources, including deep borewells in several localities, had dried up, officials said.
In 13 unions, including Usilampatti, Sedapatti, Kallikudi, T.Kallupatti, the ground water level had gone down drastically due to exploitation for various purposes.
"It is against this background that we have initiated steps, on a warfooting, to overcome the water crisis," District Collector Anshul Mishra said.
He had also formed a seperate cell for attending to the water supply crisis.
Instructions had been given to further deepen the bore wells, whereever possible. New borewells would be sunk in 244 places in the city and 761 elsewhere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal