Magisterial probe ordered into Sivakasi fire
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Thursday ordered a magisterial probe into the devastating fire at a cracker manufacturing unit in Sivakasi, which claimed 39 lives and injured several others.
Jayalalithaa, who chaired a meeting of senior ministers to chalk out measures to prevent such mishaps in future, said the District Revenue Officer would probe the cause of the incident and functioning of the Om Shakti Fireworks factory, whose registration was cancelled a day before the incident.
A sum of Rs 4.5 crore has been earmarked for enhancing the facilities at burns ward in Sivakasi Government hospital and bring it under the Madurai Medical College Hospital.
She also directed the Virudhunagar District Collector to survey the fireworks` units in the district to avoid recurrence of such mishaps.
Jayalalithaa yesterday announced a cash relief of Rs two lakh each to the next of kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth