Magisterial probe ordered into Sivakasi fire
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Thursday ordered a magisterial probe into the devastating fire at a cracker manufacturing unit in Sivakasi, which claimed 39 lives and injured several others.
Jayalalithaa, who chaired a meeting of senior ministers to chalk out measures to prevent such mishaps in future, said the District Revenue Officer would probe the cause of the incident and functioning of the Om Shakti Fireworks factory, whose registration was cancelled a day before the incident.
A sum of Rs 4.5 crore has been earmarked for enhancing the facilities at burns ward in Sivakasi Government hospital and bring it under the Madurai Medical College Hospital.
She also directed the Virudhunagar District Collector to survey the fireworks` units in the district to avoid recurrence of such mishaps.
Jayalalithaa yesterday announced a cash relief of Rs two lakh each to the next of kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender