Magisterial probe ordered into Sivakasi fire
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Thursday ordered a magisterial probe into the devastating fire at a cracker manufacturing unit in Sivakasi, which claimed 39 lives and injured several others.
Jayalalithaa, who chaired a meeting of senior ministers to chalk out measures to prevent such mishaps in future, said the District Revenue Officer would probe the cause of the incident and functioning of the Om Shakti Fireworks factory, whose registration was cancelled a day before the incident.
A sum of Rs 4.5 crore has been earmarked for enhancing the facilities at burns ward in Sivakasi Government hospital and bring it under the Madurai Medical College Hospital.
She also directed the Virudhunagar District Collector to survey the fireworks` units in the district to avoid recurrence of such mishaps.
Jayalalithaa yesterday announced a cash relief of Rs two lakh each to the next of kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Actor-politician Ramya refuses to apologise for 'Pakistan is not hell' remark
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections