Magisterial probe ordered into Sivakasi fire
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Thursday ordered a magisterial probe into the devastating fire at a cracker manufacturing unit in Sivakasi, which claimed 39 lives and injured several others.
Jayalalithaa, who chaired a meeting of senior ministers to chalk out measures to prevent such mishaps in future, said the District Revenue Officer would probe the cause of the incident and functioning of the Om Shakti Fireworks factory, whose registration was cancelled a day before the incident.
A sum of Rs 4.5 crore has been earmarked for enhancing the facilities at burns ward in Sivakasi Government hospital and bring it under the Madurai Medical College Hospital.
She also directed the Virudhunagar District Collector to survey the fireworks` units in the district to avoid recurrence of such mishaps.
Jayalalithaa yesterday announced a cash relief of Rs two lakh each to the next of kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark