Maintenance work at Koodankulam plant on: PMO
Chennai: Construction work at the controversial Koodankulam nuclear power plant has been stopped but essential maintenance activities are underway, Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said on Thursday.
He said the work on the first reactor was over but its commissioning slated for next month had been delayed by "some months" due to the agitation by the locals, who are demanding
the scrapping of the project raising safety concerns.
"Construction work at the plant has been stopped...but since maintenance work is important, our scientists and engineers are taking up the work. We have told the Chief Minister (Jayalalithaa) that maintenance work should be done and she has also accepted it," he told reporters here.
Narayanasamy said the Centre had accepted the Tamil Nadu Cabinet resolution and stopped the construction work besides setting up an experts committee to allay the fears of locals.
He said the committees set by the Centre as well as by the state government discussed various issues in their first meeting held in Tirunelveli earlier this week and replies to
the questionnaires given by the representatives of the agitators were being prepared.
"The committee representatives are educating the people. They will remove their fears.. The talks between the two are going on very smoothly and I hope that in the next meeting all
the isues will be resolved...There is every possibility of commissioning the plant in near future," he said.
Naranasamy, who was deputed by the Prime Minister at the height of the first phase agitation in September to pacify them, said there had been a marked change in the attitude of
the people of the state, especially from Koodankulam and were now supporting the plant.
"Some news channels who did surveys also found that the majority of the people are in favour of commissioning of the plant. I am sure that the agitating groups will see reason and
will come up to the expectations of the people," he said.
Referring to the visit of former president APJ Abdul Kalam to Koodankulam on Sunday last, he said after seeing the plant himself he had given a `certificate` vouching for its safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo