Malta-registered ship checked for radioactive material
Chennai: Officials from Customs and other
security agencies on Friday carried out checks on a
Malta-registered ship following an anonymous phone call
claiming that it was carrying some radioactive material.
The officials received the call saying that the ship,
identified as `Garland` and on its way from Vishakapatnam, was
carrying some radioactive material, police said.
Coast Guard officials said it was a merchant ship and
had been docked in the Chennai Port limits.
Special teams are expected to arrive and make a
thorough check later in the day.
"Experts from Kalpakkam nuclear plant are expected to
make a thorough check to ascertain whether it is carrying
radioactive material," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video