Malta-registered ship checked for radioactive material
Chennai: Officials from Customs and other
security agencies on Friday carried out checks on a
Malta-registered ship following an anonymous phone call
claiming that it was carrying some radioactive material.
The officials received the call saying that the ship,
identified as `Garland` and on its way from Vishakapatnam, was
carrying some radioactive material, police said.
Coast Guard officials said it was a merchant ship and
had been docked in the Chennai Port limits.
Special teams are expected to arrive and make a
thorough check later in the day.
"Experts from Kalpakkam nuclear plant are expected to
make a thorough check to ascertain whether it is carrying
radioactive material," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez