Malta-registered ship checked for radioactive material
Chennai: Officials from Customs and other
security agencies on Friday carried out checks on a
Malta-registered ship following an anonymous phone call
claiming that it was carrying some radioactive material.
The officials received the call saying that the ship,
identified as `Garland` and on its way from Vishakapatnam, was
carrying some radioactive material, police said.
Coast Guard officials said it was a merchant ship and
had been docked in the Chennai Port limits.
Special teams are expected to arrive and make a
thorough check later in the day.
"Experts from Kalpakkam nuclear plant are expected to
make a thorough check to ascertain whether it is carrying
radioactive material," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach