Man arrested for sending SMS on Assam violence
Coimbatore: A textile shop worker was arrested on Sunday for allegedly forwarding SMSes on the Assam violence to many persons in the city, police said.
Cyber Crime Cell police, acting on complaints traced the origin to a colony in Ukkadam area in the city and arrested him.
On being questioned, the man reportedly told police he did not know about the origin of the SMS and had forwarded it to 100 persons after receiving it. He has since been remanded to custody.
Meanwhile,city police commissioner A K Vishwanathan held a meeting with 250 people of the North East, including students, labourers and businessmen and assured them of safety at their workplace and homes.
He said a helpline has been opened to enable them contact police in case of any emergency.
Rumors through e-mail and SMS on attacks on North Easterners residing in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka had triggered an exodus of people from these two states in the past four days, the flow of which however abated today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed