Man arrested for sending SMS on Assam violence
Coimbatore: A textile shop worker was arrested on Sunday for allegedly forwarding SMSes on the Assam violence to many persons in the city, police said.
Cyber Crime Cell police, acting on complaints traced the origin to a colony in Ukkadam area in the city and arrested him.
On being questioned, the man reportedly told police he did not know about the origin of the SMS and had forwarded it to 100 persons after receiving it. He has since been remanded to custody.
Meanwhile,city police commissioner A K Vishwanathan held a meeting with 250 people of the North East, including students, labourers and businessmen and assured them of safety at their workplace and homes.
He said a helpline has been opened to enable them contact police in case of any emergency.
Rumors through e-mail and SMS on attacks on North Easterners residing in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka had triggered an exodus of people from these two states in the past four days, the flow of which however abated today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi