Man arrested for sending SMS on Assam violence
Coimbatore: A textile shop worker was arrested on Sunday for allegedly forwarding SMSes on the Assam violence to many persons in the city, police said.
Cyber Crime Cell police, acting on complaints traced the origin to a colony in Ukkadam area in the city and arrested him.
On being questioned, the man reportedly told police he did not know about the origin of the SMS and had forwarded it to 100 persons after receiving it. He has since been remanded to custody.
Meanwhile,city police commissioner A K Vishwanathan held a meeting with 250 people of the North East, including students, labourers and businessmen and assured them of safety at their workplace and homes.
He said a helpline has been opened to enable them contact police in case of any emergency.
Rumors through e-mail and SMS on attacks on North Easterners residing in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka had triggered an exodus of people from these two states in the past four days, the flow of which however abated today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened