Man attempts self-immolation protesting Rajapakse`s visit
Salem: A 26-year-old CITU activist on monday attempted self-immolation here protesting the proposed visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse to India, police said.
Shouting slogans against Rajapakse, Vijayaraj, an auto driver, doused himself with petrol and set himself a fire at the old bus stand early this morning, shocking waiting passengers.
He was rushed to Mohan Kumaramangalam Government Hospital here with 95 per cent burns and his condition was stated to be critical, police said.
The man was protesting Rajapakse`s visit to Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh this week to lay the foundation stone for an International Buddhist University.
Police pickets have been posted in and around the hospital.
Several parties, including MDMK led by Vaiko, have opposed the visit of Rajapakse, who is held responsible by parties in Tamil Nadu for the alleged war crimes against civilian Tamils in the island nation during the 2009 Eelam war.
Vaiko has announced that he would lead a blackflag demonstration in Sanchi against the visit of Rajapakse.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has yesterday appealed to Vaiko to give up the protest saying the Sanchi function was completely apolitical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested