Man detained in Rameswaram on suspicion
Rameswaram (TN): Amid heightened security following intelligence that terrorists might sneak into this island from Sri Lanka, Police on Sunday detained a 32-year-old man from Andhra Pradesh on suspicion.
Gopi was picked up by "Q" Branch police at Pisasu Munai (Ghost Point) during the intensified patrol. They found him having a mobile phone with `enormous contact numbers`, police said but did not elaborate.
He was detained after his replies during the initial questioning were contradictory and created suspicion about him, police said adding further interrogation was on.
Security has been put on high alert in the island since last week following an alert from the Intelligence Bureau that terrorists plan to sneak in through the Palk Strait from Jaffna in Sri Lanka and attack Madurai and Mayiladuthurai in the state.
According to the alert, eight terrorists plan to infiltrate into the country by sea and coastal people have been advised to inform police in case they noticed any strangers.
Patrolling of coastal areas has been intensified since August 21 night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times