Man dies in police custody; SI suspended
Cuddalore: A 50-year old man, arrested for allegedly selling banned lottery tickets, died in police custody in the district today.
A sub-inspector of police was suspended by District Superintendent of Police A Rathika in connection with the death of T Kannan alias Murugan of Aaabathanapuram village in the Panruti police station, police said.
SI V Agasa Moorthy of Vadalur police station had yesterday arrested Kannan for allegedly selling lottery tickets and taken him to Panruti station where he was interrogated.
The accused was lodged in the lockup in the station and was found dead this morning. His relatives alleged that Kannan died due to beating by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi