Man held for allegedly harassing German girl on train
Chennai: A youth has been arrested here for allegedly sexually harassing an 18-year-old German girl on a city-bound train, police said on Wednesday.
The incident happened on the West Coast Express on January 11 and the youth has been identified as 22-year-old Chandan Kumar, a native of Bihar, police said.
Kumar, a carpenter by profession and working at a furniture store in suburban Kundrathur, was returning after an official visit to Mangalore.
Soon after the train reached Chennai, the victim lodged a complaint and the perpetrator of the alleged crime was arrested, police said, adding, he was remanded in judicial custody today.
A case under IPC Section 376 (rape) has been registered by the Government Railway Police.
Asked about the antecedents of the accused, investigating officer Saravanan said that this seemed to be his first crime.
The victim was on a visit to the heritage town of Mahabalipuram near Chennai, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit