Man makes abusive calls to Venkaiah`s daughter, held
Chennai: A 31-year-old man, who made abusive phone calls to the daughter of senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu, has been arrested in Chennai, police said on Sunday.
Ramesh Kumar, an engineering graduate, was arrested last night based on a complaint from Deepa Venkat, a businesswoman.
Venkat had stated she was receiving "abusive and menacing calls" frequently from a particular mobile number, police said, adding as a first step, the mobile number from which the calls originated was blocked.
Upon investigation, police found out that the number belonged to a woman from Thirumullaivoyal here but she told them she had lost her SIM card a year ago but not filed a complaint on the matter.
The phone was later traced to Kumar with the help of IMEI number and he was arrested late on Saturday night, police said.
A city police release said that Kumar had been arrested earlier following a complaint by a girl who had rejected his advances. He had later received "threatening calls" from her friends and relatives over the matter.
Kumar, who stumbled upon the lost SIM card, used it to make abusive calls to the girl`s relatives some of whom worked in the company run by Naidu`s daughter.
Once Venkat answered his call in Telugu and assuming her also to be a relative of the girl, he started making frequent calls to her office and home numbers, police said.
Citing the incident, police said loss of SIM card must be treated seriously and complaint lodged with them in such cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!