Man, mother sentenced to life in dowry case
Madurai: A man and his mother were on Tuesday
sentenced to life imprisonment by a women`s court here for
burning to death his 19-year-old wife for dowry two years
They were arrested on February 9, 2009 based on the woman`s
dying declaration, police said.
Judge R Tharani sentenced both of them to life and an
additional two years for dowry harassment. They were also
slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 each.
The prosecution case was that Balamurugan (25) and his
mother had constantly harassed his wife for dowry after their
marriage in 2008.Though the woman had gone back to her parents
house several times, her mother had prevailed on her to return.
On February 9 2009, the woman`s mother got information that her
daughter had set herself ablaze. She filed a complaint,
following which they were arrested the same day, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand