Man, mother sentenced to life in dowry case
Madurai: A man and his mother were on Tuesday
sentenced to life imprisonment by a women`s court here for
burning to death his 19-year-old wife for dowry two years
They were arrested on February 9, 2009 based on the woman`s
dying declaration, police said.
Judge R Tharani sentenced both of them to life and an
additional two years for dowry harassment. They were also
slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 each.
The prosecution case was that Balamurugan (25) and his
mother had constantly harassed his wife for dowry after their
marriage in 2008.Though the woman had gone back to her parents
house several times, her mother had prevailed on her to return.
On February 9 2009, the woman`s mother got information that her
daughter had set herself ablaze. She filed a complaint,
following which they were arrested the same day, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’