Man sentenced to life for burning wife to death
Ramanathapuram: A 32-year-old man was sentenced to life on Wednesday by a local court here for burning his wife to death about two years ago.
Rafi Naina Mohammed set Noorikhan (29) ablaze on June 19, 2009 at Nambuthalai village, after she refused to ask her father for money to help him set up a tea shop, police said.
Mohammed, a tea master, had asked his wife to get Rs 50,000 from her father for setting up the shop on his own, they said.
Noorikhan had given a dying declaration blaming her husband for burning her, they added.
Besides life imprisonment, the judge also slapped a fine of Rs 1,000 on Mohammed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore