Man sentenced to life term for acid attack
Karaikal: In one of the fastest trials that lasted four months, a local court today sentenced a man to life imprisonment for the fatal acid attack on a woman software engineer.
Judicial Magistrate Vaidyanathan, who pronounced the verdict, also slapped a fine of Rs one lakh on Suresh and awarded him a four and half year Rigorous Imprisonment for causing injuries to the woman`s father during the attack.
The judge also ordered that Rs 50,000 of the Rs one lakh fine be paid to the family of the victim.
Enraged over 23-year-old Vinodhini spurning his advances, Suresh, a construction worker, had flung acid on her at a bus terminus here on November 14, 2012. A B.Tech graduate working in a private firm, she had come home for Diwali celebrations when she was attacked.
After battling for life for three months in hospital, she succumbed to injuries on February 12 this year.
Suresh was arrested soon after the incident and charges framed against him under various sections of IPC, including 302 (Punishment for murder)and 324 (Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means).
The court, which commenced the trial on Apr 24 completed it within four months and the verdict was pronounced on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media
- DNA samples taken as searchers hunt for EgyptAir plane