Man sentenced to life term for acid attack
Karaikal: In one of the fastest trials that lasted four months, a local court today sentenced a man to life imprisonment for the fatal acid attack on a woman software engineer.
Judicial Magistrate Vaidyanathan, who pronounced the verdict, also slapped a fine of Rs one lakh on Suresh and awarded him a four and half year Rigorous Imprisonment for causing injuries to the woman`s father during the attack.
The judge also ordered that Rs 50,000 of the Rs one lakh fine be paid to the family of the victim.
Enraged over 23-year-old Vinodhini spurning his advances, Suresh, a construction worker, had flung acid on her at a bus terminus here on November 14, 2012. A B.Tech graduate working in a private firm, she had come home for Diwali celebrations when she was attacked.
After battling for life for three months in hospital, she succumbed to injuries on February 12 this year.
Suresh was arrested soon after the incident and charges framed against him under various sections of IPC, including 302 (Punishment for murder)and 324 (Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means).
The court, which commenced the trial on Apr 24 completed it within four months and the verdict was pronounced on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Pro-EU Londoners rebel with `Lexit` secession call
- Maiden flight of Su-30 MKI with BrahMos missile successful
- Turkey police detain 28 in raids on Erdogan foes
- AAP MLA arrested for sexual harassment, Kejriwal attacks PM with ''Emergency'' taunt
- Rahul Gandhi is in London with a special friend: Subramanian Swamy