MDMK announces candidate for Sankarankoil bypoll
Chennai: The Vaiko-led MDMK on Sunday announced
former legislator Dr Sathan Thirumalai Kumar as its nominee
for the March 18 bypoll for Sankarankoil (SC) constituency.
Dr Kumar had earlier represented Vasudevanallur assembly
seat during the 2006-11 period.
A total of eight persons had applied to contest the by
election, necessitated due to the death of AIADMK minister
C Karuppasamy, a release from MDMK headquarters here said.
Sounding confident of clinching the seat, the former ally
of AIADMK said that the outcome may however be immaterial
(since AIADMK enjoys a strong majority).
This will be the first election the party will face after
it boycotted the April 2011 assembly polls following breakdown
of seat-sharing talks with its former ally.
AIADMK and DMK have already announced their candidates,
making it a multi-pronged contest.
The Vijayakant-led DMDK is likely to take a call over
fielding its nominee in its February 21 general council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM