MDMK announces candidate for Sankarankoil bypoll
Chennai: The Vaiko-led MDMK on Sunday announced
former legislator Dr Sathan Thirumalai Kumar as its nominee
for the March 18 bypoll for Sankarankoil (SC) constituency.
Dr Kumar had earlier represented Vasudevanallur assembly
seat during the 2006-11 period.
A total of eight persons had applied to contest the by
election, necessitated due to the death of AIADMK minister
C Karuppasamy, a release from MDMK headquarters here said.
Sounding confident of clinching the seat, the former ally
of AIADMK said that the outcome may however be immaterial
(since AIADMK enjoys a strong majority).
This will be the first election the party will face after
it boycotted the April 2011 assembly polls following breakdown
of seat-sharing talks with its former ally.
AIADMK and DMK have already announced their candidates,
making it a multi-pronged contest.
The Vijayakant-led DMDK is likely to take a call over
fielding its nominee in its February 21 general council.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- UMANG: This pan-India app will give you access to all government services
- CPI-M, BJP can't beat TMC in West Bengal, no post-poll alliance with Congress: Mamata Banerjee
- Indian Premier League 2016: Chris Morris does justice to whopping price tag for Delhi Daredevils with incredible 82-run knock
- Facebook profits surge as user base expands
- Watch - Maiden rocket launch from Russia's brand new Vostochny Cosmodrome!