MDMK announces candidate for Sankarankoil bypoll
Chennai: The Vaiko-led MDMK on Sunday announced
former legislator Dr Sathan Thirumalai Kumar as its nominee
for the March 18 bypoll for Sankarankoil (SC) constituency.
Dr Kumar had earlier represented Vasudevanallur assembly
seat during the 2006-11 period.
A total of eight persons had applied to contest the by
election, necessitated due to the death of AIADMK minister
C Karuppasamy, a release from MDMK headquarters here said.
Sounding confident of clinching the seat, the former ally
of AIADMK said that the outcome may however be immaterial
(since AIADMK enjoys a strong majority).
This will be the first election the party will face after
it boycotted the April 2011 assembly polls following breakdown
of seat-sharing talks with its former ally.
AIADMK and DMK have already announced their candidates,
making it a multi-pronged contest.
The Vijayakant-led DMDK is likely to take a call over
fielding its nominee in its February 21 general council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam