MDMK to contest Lok Sabha polls
Chennai: After boycotting the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls and a token contest in the Sankarankoil (SC) bypoll later, MDMK has decided to contest the Lok Sabha elections scheduled in 2014.
"We have decided to contest in the general elections. We cannot say anything further," party chief Vaiko said, announcing the party`s decision here.
Asked whether he would contest and his party was forming an alliance with other parties, he said, "All I can say now is that my party will contest. I cannot say anything further."
MDMK had boycotted the assembly polls in 2011 following breakdown of seat sharing talks with AIADMK and had fielded its nominee for the Sankarankoil (SC) bye-election.
Replying to another query on the AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s walking out from the National Development Council meeting in Delhi, he said, "When a Chief Minister is making an important speech, the Centre should have permitted her to talk."
"They (the Centre) could have been lenient on this. There was no need for the Centre to stop her speech. This is not good."
On Jayalalithaa`s proposal recommending harsher punishment for crime against women, he said liquor was the main reason behind them and harsher punishments can be effective only upto a point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof