Media baron Sivanthi Adithan dead
Chennai: Tamil media baron, educationist and sports administrator Sivanthi Adithan died here Friday night after prolonged illness. He was 76.
Adityan was admitted to a private hospital here a month back suffering a stroke. He is survived by his wife Malathi Adithan, son Balasubramaniam Adithan and a daughter.
A Padmashree awardee, Adithan headed the media group that runs the one of largest circulating Tamil dailies "Daily Thanthi", evening daily "Malai Malar`, television channel Thanthi TV. The group also has interests in other industries and educational institutions.
Adithan, a keen sports enthusiast, was a volleyball player. Later he served as the president of Volleyball Federation of India and was also headed the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
In 1996, Adithan received the Olympic Order of Merit from the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
His funeral will be held here Saturday.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko in a statement said he was not able to believe his ears when he heard about Adithan`s demise. He termed Adithan a "great person" in the Indian newspaper field.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday