Media baron Sivanthi Adithan dead
Chennai: Tamil media baron, educationist and sports administrator Sivanthi Adithan died here Friday night after prolonged illness. He was 76.
Adityan was admitted to a private hospital here a month back suffering a stroke. He is survived by his wife Malathi Adithan, son Balasubramaniam Adithan and a daughter.
A Padmashree awardee, Adithan headed the media group that runs the one of largest circulating Tamil dailies "Daily Thanthi", evening daily "Malai Malar`, television channel Thanthi TV. The group also has interests in other industries and educational institutions.
Adithan, a keen sports enthusiast, was a volleyball player. Later he served as the president of Volleyball Federation of India and was also headed the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
In 1996, Adithan received the Olympic Order of Merit from the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
His funeral will be held here Saturday.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko in a statement said he was not able to believe his ears when he heard about Adithan`s demise. He termed Adithan a "great person" in the Indian newspaper field.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical