Mercedes Benz hit-and-run case: Suspect likely to surrender today
Chennai: Shaji Purushothaman, son of an industrialist who is wanted in a Mercedes hit-and-run case, is likely to surrender before police on Tuesday, sources said.
Shaji allegedly drove his vehicle under the influence of alcohol at high speed hitting a police patrol vehicle and later ran over some children sleeping on the pavements late in the night of May 23, police said.
The incident took place near the Maternity Hospital in Egmore, which left a boy dead and another girl with serious injuries.
When the matter was being probed, one of his aides Kumar surrendered before the police claiming that he was the one responsible for the incident.
However, police investigations and a driving test involving him proved Kumar could not drive a Mercedes and has only been working for the industrialist.
After a look out notice was issued to nab him, his relatives have informed the police that he would surrender before them, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?