Mercedes Benz hit-and-run case: Suspect likely to surrender today
Chennai: Shaji Purushothaman, son of an industrialist who is wanted in a Mercedes hit-and-run case, is likely to surrender before police on Tuesday, sources said.
Shaji allegedly drove his vehicle under the influence of alcohol at high speed hitting a police patrol vehicle and later ran over some children sleeping on the pavements late in the night of May 23, police said.
The incident took place near the Maternity Hospital in Egmore, which left a boy dead and another girl with serious injuries.
When the matter was being probed, one of his aides Kumar surrendered before the police claiming that he was the one responsible for the incident.
However, police investigations and a driving test involving him proved Kumar could not drive a Mercedes and has only been working for the industrialist.
After a look out notice was issued to nab him, his relatives have informed the police that he would surrender before them, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic