Mercedes hit-and-run accused gets bail
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday granted conditional bail to Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the case relating to the May 23 Mercedes hit-and-run incident in which a boy was killed.
Granting the bail, Justice B Rajendran directed that Shaji shall execute a personal bond for a sum of rupees five lakh and with two sureties each for a like sum to the satisfaction of the 14 th Metropolitan Magistrate court, Egmore.
The Judge also directed him to deposit another sum of Rs five lakh towards the compensation of the family of Muniraj, who died in the incident.
Shaji should also appear before the Anna Salai Traffic Investigation police daily at 10.30 am for a period of four weeks and also thereafter as and when required for interrogation.
The Judge also directed that Shaji shall not hamper the investigation and tamper the witnesses. Shaji who was arrested in Kerala State on the 13th June 2013 is in jail for the past more than 45 days.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liquor and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
Shaji, declared a proclaimed offender by a court here after he went absconding, was arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 when he arrived from Colombo by a flight.
The Madras High Court and Kerala High Courts had earlier rejected Shaji`s anticipatory bail applications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP