Mercedes hit-and-run: Accused in police custody
Chennai: A local court in Chennai on Wednesday granted one-day police custody of Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the recent Mercedes hit-and-run case in which a boy was killed and two others were injured.
Shaji, son of a businessman here, was produced before XIV Metropolitan Magistrate L Abraham Lincoln, who remanded him in police custody.
Shaji, arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 after absconding for about three weeks since the incident, had been remanded in judicial custody till June 27.
Police had filed an application seeking five-days custody of Shaji for interrogation.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liqour and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
As he remained elusive, Shaji was declared a proclaimed offender by the court later.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- UN says North Korea accusations vs US troops 'unsubstantiated'
- Supreme Court bans diesel, petrol cabs in Delhi-NCR from May 1
- SHOCKING! Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Haryana - WATCH VIDEO
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral