Mercedes hit-and-run: Accused in police custody
Chennai: A local court in Chennai on Wednesday granted one-day police custody of Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the recent Mercedes hit-and-run case in which a boy was killed and two others were injured.
Shaji, son of a businessman here, was produced before XIV Metropolitan Magistrate L Abraham Lincoln, who remanded him in police custody.
Shaji, arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 after absconding for about three weeks since the incident, had been remanded in judicial custody till June 27.
Police had filed an application seeking five-days custody of Shaji for interrogation.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liqour and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
As he remained elusive, Shaji was declared a proclaimed offender by the court later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH