Mercedes hit-and-run: Accused in police custody
Chennai: A local court in Chennai on Wednesday granted one-day police custody of Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the recent Mercedes hit-and-run case in which a boy was killed and two others were injured.
Shaji, son of a businessman here, was produced before XIV Metropolitan Magistrate L Abraham Lincoln, who remanded him in police custody.
Shaji, arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 after absconding for about three weeks since the incident, had been remanded in judicial custody till June 27.
Police had filed an application seeking five-days custody of Shaji for interrogation.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liqour and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
As he remained elusive, Shaji was declared a proclaimed offender by the court later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch