Mercedes hit-and-run: Accused in police custody
Chennai: A local court in Chennai on Wednesday granted one-day police custody of Shaji Purushothaman, the prime accused in the recent Mercedes hit-and-run case in which a boy was killed and two others were injured.
Shaji, son of a businessman here, was produced before XIV Metropolitan Magistrate L Abraham Lincoln, who remanded him in police custody.
Shaji, arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 after absconding for about three weeks since the incident, had been remanded in judicial custody till June 27.
Police had filed an application seeking five-days custody of Shaji for interrogation.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under the influence of liqour and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
As he remained elusive, Shaji was declared a proclaimed offender by the court later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!