Miraculous escape for 25 as bus hangs in air
Udhagamandalam: Around 25 passengers had a miraculous escape when a bus overshot a parapet wall on a ghat road and its front portion hung precariously in air over a 300-feet deep gorge.
The driver of the state-owned transport corporation bus lost control and hit the parapet wall after the central axle rod of the vehicle snapped on Manjoor road near Parali in Tamil Nadu`s hilly Nilgiris district, police said.
However, the bus, proceeding to Manjoor from Coimbatore, came to a halt after the broken axle hit the wall leading to the front portion of the bus hanging in air. The passengers and driver moved cautiously towards the rear side and got down safely.
Had the bus not come to a halt, it could have plunged into the 300 feet deep gorge, resulting in casualties, they added.
Transport officials were making efforts to retrieve the bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?