Miraculous escape for 25 as bus hangs in air
Udhagamandalam: Around 25 passengers had a miraculous escape when a bus overshot a parapet wall on a ghat road and its front portion hung precariously in air over a 300-feet deep gorge.
The driver of the state-owned transport corporation bus lost control and hit the parapet wall after the central axle rod of the vehicle snapped on Manjoor road near Parali in Tamil Nadu`s hilly Nilgiris district, police said.
However, the bus, proceeding to Manjoor from Coimbatore, came to a halt after the broken axle hit the wall leading to the front portion of the bus hanging in air. The passengers and driver moved cautiously towards the rear side and got down safely.
Had the bus not come to a halt, it could have plunged into the 300 feet deep gorge, resulting in casualties, they added.
Transport officials were making efforts to retrieve the bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Retiring Tillakaratne Dilshan speaks on lack of support from teammates during his captaincy stint
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu
- Weeds, less water could spell death for Chandigarh's Sukhna Lake
- F&B giant Pepsico end decade-long association with India's ODI captain MS Dhoni