Miraculous escape for 25 as bus hangs in air
Udhagamandalam: Around 25 passengers had a miraculous escape when a bus overshot a parapet wall on a ghat road and its front portion hung precariously in air over a 300-feet deep gorge.
The driver of the state-owned transport corporation bus lost control and hit the parapet wall after the central axle rod of the vehicle snapped on Manjoor road near Parali in Tamil Nadu`s hilly Nilgiris district, police said.
However, the bus, proceeding to Manjoor from Coimbatore, came to a halt after the broken axle hit the wall leading to the front portion of the bus hanging in air. The passengers and driver moved cautiously towards the rear side and got down safely.
Had the bus not come to a halt, it could have plunged into the 300 feet deep gorge, resulting in casualties, they added.
Transport officials were making efforts to retrieve the bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees