Missing CPM leader Varadarajan found dead
Chennai: The mystery surrounding the
disappearance of senior CPI(M) leader and its Central
Committee member W R Varadarajan, who was in the news over an
alleged extra-marital affair, was on Sunday resolved with the
recovery of his body from a lake and police suspect he may
have committed suicide.
The body of 64-year old Varadarajan, who left his home
on February 11 leaving two unsigned letters, was identified by
his wife Saraswathy at the Government Royapettah Hospital. The
body was lying there for the last few days unclaimed.
Varadarajan, a qualified chartered accountant and a
Brahmin had married Saraswathy, a Reserve Bank employee and a
Dalit after the death of his first wife.
He had given up his job with the Reserve Bank of India
to pursue Left politics.
Varadharajan is said to have developed a relationship
with a woman, when she approached him seeking some help
following which his relationship with his wife had soured.
In the wake of his personal problems, Varadharajan, a
national secretary of CITU and a Central Committee member of
CPI-M, was divested of all party posts early this month for
his conduct that was not in conformity with the Marxist
Varadarajan was reportedly upset with his expulsion
from the party`s committee and other problems and left his
home on February 11.
While leaving home on February 11, Varadarajan, a
former MLA from the city, left behind two unsigned letters,
prompting the party to lodge a complaint with City Police and
the DGP`s office about his missing.
Earlier in the day, confusion had prevailed over the
identity of the highly decomposed body with police deciding to
conduct a DNA test after Varadarajan`s son could not
positively identify the body.
Several CPI (M) leaders also tried to identify the
body in vain.
Police suspect Varadarajan, a former MLA from the
city, could have committed suicide as he was beset with
Varadarajan, known for his oratorical skills, was
taking active part in party organised protests and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi