Monsoon toll in Tamil Nadu now 34
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Thursday said 14 persons have been killed in rain-related incidents since October 20, taking the toll to 34 since the onset of the North-East Monsoon last week.
In a statement here, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said 14 persons were killed since October 20. She announced Rs 2.5 lakh as relief to each to the families of victims who died in incidents such as lightning strikes and wall collapse in Cuddalore and Villupuram districts, among others.
The North-East Monsoon has been vigorous over Tamil Nadu for the past few days, bringing in copious rains in most parts of the state, including the Cauvery delta region, raising hopes of a good water situation in the wake of a deficient South West monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- `I`m not 100 percent`, admits US Open champion Novak Djokovic
- Kanhaiya, two others granted regular bail in sedition case
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case