Monsoon toll in Tamil Nadu now 34
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Thursday said 14 persons have been killed in rain-related incidents since October 20, taking the toll to 34 since the onset of the North-East Monsoon last week.
In a statement here, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said 14 persons were killed since October 20. She announced Rs 2.5 lakh as relief to each to the families of victims who died in incidents such as lightning strikes and wall collapse in Cuddalore and Villupuram districts, among others.
The North-East Monsoon has been vigorous over Tamil Nadu for the past few days, bringing in copious rains in most parts of the state, including the Cauvery delta region, raising hopes of a good water situation in the wake of a deficient South West monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you